OHS Summer Camps
OHS summer camps are a great opportunity for children to learn all about animals, get a more in-depth behind-the-scenes look at the OHS, while visiting with shelter animals. OHS summer camp highlights include:
- Humane education presentations
- Tour of the OHS, including our Shirley Kearns Memorial Adoption Centre
- Cat gallery visits
- Small animal visits
- Volunteer dog visits and/or dog walks*
- Guest speakers
- Educational lessons
- Animal-themed crafts
- Animal-themed games
- Water games and sprinkler activities
- Quiet free-play time
- And so much more!
* Subject to availability of volunteer dogs.
All of our activities are geared towards teaching campers about animal care, handling and welfare. We try to have at least three 20-minute animal interactions every day, but that can sometimes vary depending on animal availability and behaviour. Our top priority is the well-being and safety of both the campers and our animals. We provide a fun, inclusive and safe learning environment for our campers, and one that is free of undue stress on the animals.
- Cost: Five day camps: $335/week (+ optional $30 for extended care)
- Four day camps: $290/week (+ optional $30 for extended care)
Location: The Ottawa Humane Society (245 West Hunt Club Rd)
Camp Hours: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Extended Care: Available from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. & 4 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. for an additional fee of $30/week. Must be selected and paid for upon registration.
Minimum Age Restriction: Entering Grade 1 in Fall 2023 (finished Senior Kindergarten)
Maximum Age Restriction: Entering Grade 6 in Fall 2023
Online registration immediately guarantees your child a space at camp. Payment is required upon registration.
OHS SUMMER CAMP 2023 – DATES
- WEEK 1 – Tuesday, July 4 to Friday, July 7, 2023 (Entering GRADES 1-3 in Fall 2023) *SOLD OUT*
- WEEK 2 – Monday, July 10 to Friday, July 14, 2023 (Entering GRADES 4-6 in Fall 2023) *SOLD OUT*
- WEEK 3 – Monday, July 17 to Friday, July 21, 2023 (Entering GRADES 1-3 in Fall 2023) *SOLD OUT*
- WEEK 4 – Monday, July 24 to Friday, July 28, 2023 (Entering GRADES 4-6 in Fall 2023) *SOLD OUT*
- WEEK 5 – Monday, July 31 to Friday, August 4, 2023 (Entering GRADES 1-3 in Fall 2023) *SOLD OUT*
- WEEK 6 – Tuesday, August 8 to Friday, August 11, 2023 (Entering GRADES 4-6 in Fall 2023) *SOLD OUT*
- WEEK 7 – Monday, August 14 to Friday, August 18, 2023 (Entering GRADES 1-3 in Fall 2023) *SOLD OUT*
- WEEK 8 – Monday, August 21 to Friday, August 25, 2023 (Entering GRADES 4-6 in Fall 2023) *SOLD OUT*
- WEEK 9 – Monday, August 28 to Friday, September 1, 2023 (Entering GRADES 1-3 in Fall 2023)REGISTER NOW
*WEEK 1 and WEEK 6 are 4-day camps due to statutory holidays (no camp on Monday).
To be placed on an interest list for OHS Summer Camps 2023 cancellations, please register your contact information by selecting the “Interest List” button below. Choose the calendar date (September 1, 2023) and time (11:59 pm) and select “Book Now”.
Interest List Registration for Cancellations
Read the FAQ about the OHS camp experience! and check out our Summer Camps Handout for 2023!
Lunches and Peanut/Nut Policy:
The OHS does not provide lunches for campers. A fruit cup, popcorn and a juice box is provided on Fridays. Please have campers bring their own lunch from Monday to Friday, and 2 snacks daily for the entire week. While we request that campers refrain from bringing products containing nuts to camps, the OHS is not a nut-free facility. Campers with EpiPens must present to camp daily with their EpiPen(s).
Shelter Animals & Availability:
To maintain safety and security of all participants, and to reduce stress of animals in our care, shelter dogs are not used in this program. Cat and rabbit interactions are subject to animal availability on the day of the scheduled camp.
Animals are behaviourally assessed for suitability in being with children, as well as health checked by our animal care team. Animal availability may be determined by an animal’s health or adoption status, stress level and temperament.
All proceeds above and beyond the costs to run camps go to the animals at the OHS!
COVID-19 Safety Protocols: To ensure the safety of OHS staff, volunteers, participants and animals, we ask that campers stay home if they are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or live with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 in the last five days. At this time, masking is not required for OHS programs, although children who feel more comfortable wearing masks are encouraged to do so.
Summer Camp Cancellation Policy:Child participants being enrolled in children programs at the Ottawa Humane Society must meet the age and grade requirements for the program. Participants who do not meet age or grade requirements for the program may have their registrations automatically cancelled. Automatic cancellations will be subject to the cancellation & refund policy (a non-refundable $25 administration fee applies for all cancellations).
Refund requests received 7 days in advance of the scheduled camp program are eligible for a refund (a non-refundable $25 administration fee applies). Refund requests received within 7 days of the scheduled camp program are not eligible for a refund. Note: Full refunds will be issued in the event the OHS has to cancel a scheduled camp program.
For more information, email email@example.com or call 613-725-3166, ext. 298.