**Due to the current public health crisis, the OHS is currently not accepting donations of any new or used items from our wish list.**
Why are we not accepting in-kind donations?
- The Shirley Kearns Memorial Adoption Centre is closed to the public.
- We want to reduce the amount of traffic at the shelter. This will increase the risk to our clients, volunteers, staff, and animals.
- There are items that cannot be disinfected or are not disposable. If we receive these items, we will have to pay to dispose of them.
- There are items that are already overstocked or are provided by a sponsoring organization.
Hill’s Food, Shelter & Love® program has partnered with us and is donating pet food for all dogs, cats, kittens and puppies being cared for here. We no longer need individual pet food donations because of this partnership.
For more information on how COVID-19 is impacting the shelter, visit www.ottawahumane.ca/covid-19
What can you do to help?
We are still accepting the following donations of items:
- Gift certificates for event prizes (by mail only)
- Canadian Tire money (by mail only)
- Air Miles
- Donate a Car Canada
- Amazon Wish List for cats
- Amazon Wish List for dogs
We’re taking all measures possible to ensure the animals in our care can continue to receive the care they need while we face a shortage of resources. The OHS appreciates and relies on donations to help care for our animals.
The animals at the OHS need your support. Your donations of money and in-kind gifts of supplies and equipment are essential to our work in the community.
Our Wish List contains items that the Ottawa Humane Society currently needs. For all other items not on our Wish List, please call or email before bringing to the OHS.
We will ask you to fill in an in-kind donation form. It is helpful if you could download, print and fill in this form in advance.
If you are able to donate in-kind gifts such as office supplies, prizes or other non-animal-related items, please email email@example.com or call 613-725-3166 ext. 221.
- Kong toys
- Six-foot nylon dog leashes
- Soft treats for training-new/unopened bags only
- Kong wobbler dog treat dispenser
- Nylabone dog toys
- Non-basted plain rawhide bones (medium and large only, with no knots)
- Freeze-dried liver treats-new/unopened bags only
- Easy-walk dog harnesses
- Bottles of bubbles to blow
- Kuranda beds https://kuranda.com/
- Dog beds (new and gently used)
- Dog food/treat puzzles (plastic only, no wood)
- Baskerville Ultra Muzzles
- Cat wands
- Cat toy balls
- Perpetual motion toys
- Yesterday’s news litter
- Whiskas (specifically meat selects), friskies and catchow dry kibble, unopened
- Whiskas, Friskies, Fancy Feast and PC canned cat food
- New small paint rollers (used to give the cats massages to help alleviate stress)
- New toothbrushes (used to brush/groom orphan kittens)
- Cat beds (new and gently used)
- Temptations cat treats –new/unopened bags only
- Crinkle puff ball cat toys
- Cardboard cat scatching pads
- Bottles of bubbles to blow
- Churu Creamy Cat Treat
- Kurunda Cat Towers https://kuranda.com
Many of these items can be found and purchased on our Amazon wish list at https://www.ohsre.ca/kitten/help#wishlist
- Pine shavings (for small animals)
- Rabbit pellets
- Shredded paper (no staples, for the animals)
- Carefresh bedding
- Snuggle safe heating discs
- Laser pointers
- Pee pads
- Disposable gloves (powder free)
- Bounce dryer sheets
- Household rubber gloves
- Laundry detergent (preferable high-efficiency or powdered)
- Dish soap
- Garbage bags (size 38” x 50”)
- Gift certificates for event prizes
- Canadian Tire money
- AIR MILES
- Donate a Car Canada (Proceeds from the sale of your used vehicle are directed to the OHS)
- New, non-electric can openers
- Yellow highlighters
- Yellow 3×3 and 1×2 post-it notes
- P-touch tape white plastic with black lettering MTape 12mm
- Laminating sheets
- Pens- blue and black
- White photo copy paper 20lb
- Board games (with all the required pieces for ages 6-12 years)
- AA and AAA batteries
- ¼ cup and ½ cup measuring cups
- Black sharpie markers
Items that are not needed at this time:
The OHS appreciates, and relies on donations to help care for our animals. Please note that there are items we are not able to accept because they cannot be disinfected, are not disposable, are already overstocked or are provided by a sponsoring organization. If you leave any of these items at the OHS, we will have to pay to dispose of them.
Hill’s Food, Shelter & Love® program has partnered with us and is donating pet food for all dogs, cats, kittens and puppies being cared for here. We no longer need individual pet food donations because of this partnership; however we do have a “wish list” of urgently needed items for the animals in our care. Simply ask any staff member. Thank you for your continued support!
For the reasons listed above, we ask that you do not donate the following items:
- Bath towels, flat sheets, fleece blankets
- Bird cages
- Bird seed
- Small animal cages for rabbits or guinea pigs
- Any opened bags of food or treats
- Food bowls of any style
- Stuffed toys
- Pillows, duvets, cushions, comforters, fitted sheets, curtains, table cloths, placemats, hand and face towels
- Wooden crates or carriers
- Cloth carriers
- Dog seat belts
- Clumping cat litter
- Cat trees
- Human clothing
- Used brushes/combs
- Grooming supplies
- Non-washable dog toys
- Any office supplies – other than those specifically listed as being needed
- Any damaged items
- Pet clothing
- Tennis balls
How to Help
Gift by phone and tax receipts: Please call 613-725-3166 ext. 252 or send an email.