Why work with the Ottawa Humane Society?
Ready for the next exciting step in your career?
At the OHS, you will enjoy extensive opportunities for professional development, a supportive, collaborative team, mentorship, and competitive compensation.
And best of all, you will go home each day knowing you are helping those who can’t help themselves.
The salary for an OHS veterinarian is between $112,113 and $123,882 per year.
This is a full time contract position (8 months) working 75 hours bi-weekly.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform veterinary rounds to assess and treat animals within established protocols
- Follow and support all organizational and medical protocols
- Examine animals pre-operatively to determine their ability to withstand surgery
- Perform surgical sterilizations in a safe and efficient manner utilizing high volume sterilization techniques
- Perform other surgical interventions including dentistry
- Provide crisis medical services in emergency situations
- Provide direction and supervision to the surgical team
- Provide necropsy and other tests and assessments to provide expert opinion and testimony
- Ensure practice is in accordance with CVO regulations
- Provide case consultation to other staff and managers
- Maintain excellent relationships with the veterinary community, other service providers, professionals and OHS partners
- Assist in the development of standard operating procedures within assigned functional areas
- Provide advice and assistance to directors, other managers, the CEO and the Board of Directors and its committees as required
- Be thoroughly familiar with, and ensure adherence to, pertinent legislation, regulations, guidelines, OHS policies, procedures, collective agreement, good animal care practices, and veterinary standards of practice and best practices
- Maintain a comprehensive knowledge of social, environmental and cultural issues relating to animal welfare, herd health, husbandry, shelter medicine and veterinary practices
- Produce and maintain accurate reports, records, and files
- Participate in supervision, evaluation, training and other meetings as required
- Participate in the assessment of staff performance
- Provide supervision and guidance to staff within clinic operations
- Support the activities of staff, volunteers, students and work placements and provide orientation and training as required
- Be familiar with and ensure compliance with all health and safety policies and procedures
- Participate in the identification and evaluation of OHS program goals and objectives
- Participate in professional development opportunities
- Represent the OHS in a professional manner
- Participate in public relations and promotional activities as required
- May be required to assume some of the responsibilities of Chief Veterinarian
Like what you see? We want you!
If this position interests you and you can imagine the OHS being the next step in your career, email your resume and cover letter to the attention of the manager: human resources, email@example.com.
Here are some things we’d love to hear about you. Tell us about your:
- Education and how you will apply it in this role;
- Experience working with animals and how you keep your work day organized; and,
- Experience working with others and managing conflict.
We are an equal opportunity employer and offer accommodation for applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you require accommodation at any point during your application.