PROGRAM ANIMAL HANDLER
Not currently recruiting.
The OHS runs several programs that promote the human-animal bond and encourage participants to interact with animals. In this position, volunteers bring their own, behaviour-assessed companion animals to participate in various OHS programs and events. Volunteers provide OHS program participants with hands-on animal interaction, demonstrate their animal’s unique talents or skills, and deliver short presentations related to their animal or an animal welfare topic.
Volunteers are required to make a minimum bi-weekly commitment, over a period of at least one year.
PROGRAM ANIMAL HANDLER VOLUNTEER REQUIREMENTS
- Volunteers must have a companion animal suitable for visits;
- Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older;
- Volunteers must have a valid driver’s licence;
- All companion animals must pass an OHS behaviour assessment;
- Have access to a vehicle to transport their animal;
- Be friendly and enjoy working with the public, including children, youth, adults and seniors;
- Be compassionate and sensitive to vulnerable populations, such as at-risk youth, individuals experiencing homelessness, diverse groups, newcomers to Canada and seniors;
- Be comfortable delivering short presentations to various age groups and populations;
- Be comfortable discussing issues related to animal care and welfare (after being provided with training);
- Have availability for regular weekday daytime, evening or weekend shifts;
- Following an interview, all volunteers will be asked to complete a criminal record check and be scheduled for orientation.
PROGRAM ANIMAL REQUIREMENTS
- Be at least two years old and sterilized;
- Be up-to-date on vaccinations: DA2PP or DHPP/DA2PPV (for dogs) and FVRCP (for cats) and rabies;
- Not have consumed a raw food diet within the last 90 days;
- Not be on antibiotics or any immunosuppressive medication;
- Successfully pass all required Program Animal Behaviour Assessment before participating in programs or events.
STEPS TO BECOMING A PROGRAM ANIMAL HANDLER VOLUNTEER:
- Complete the volunteer application.
- Please ensure you specify on your application the program you are interested in volunteering for.
- Volunteers whose skills and availability match the Program Animal Handler volunteer requirements will be contacted with additional questions about their companion animal.
- Following a successful onboarding, volunteers will be asked to submit a Criminal Record Check and attend scheduled orientations.
For more information, please contact the Coordinator: Volunteers via email at email@example.com or via telephone at 613-725-3166 ext. 264.