Spay or Neuter Your Pets
Don't Litter – Spay or Neuter Your Pets
Help prevent the suffering of thousands of unwanted pets by doing your part: spay or neuter your animal companion.
Contact a veterinarian for professional advice – the sooner the better. Your veterinarian can fully explain spay and neuter procedures to you and discuss the best age at which to sterilize your pet. You can also call the City of Ottawa Spay/Neuter Clinic at 613-798-8970.
The OHS offers subsidized spay/neuter services to qualified clients and cats in Ottawa through the Mobile Spay/Neuter Clinic.
The OHS is doing its part by ensuring that cats and dogs adopted from the shelter are spayed and neutered.
What does pet overpopulation have to do with me? Everything. If your pet has one litter, even if you find homes for most of the puppies and kittens, in one year, all the puppies or kittens could have litters of their own. Millions of dollars are spent annually to care for lost, abandoned and unwanted pets.
The Benefits of Spaying and Neutering
Spaying or neutering your pet has a variety of benefits including:
- Reducing the tendency in male cats and dogs to roam;
- Eliminating the inconvenience of the heat cycle in female dogs and cats;
- Providing better health in both male and female dogs and cats;
- Eliminating spraying in most male cats;
- Facilitating training; and,
- Qualifying your pet for a reduced municipal license fee in Ottawa.