Fire Safety and Pets

  • Check your smoke alarm annually and replace the batteries. Consider a system that is connected to a monitoring center for immediate assistance even when you are not at home.
  • Place a sticker on the front and back door or window with clear visibility so it is easily seen letting responders know there are pets in the house
  • Check your house for possible fire hazards such as loose wires, space heaters, hair dryers, irons, or any other item that could be potentially hazardous
  • Many pets like to chew, so it’s important to safeguard wires and cords so they do not become chew toys that can injure pets and start an electrical fire
  • Never leave your pet unattended around or near an open flame. This includes barbecue grills, fire pits, fireplaces or candles. Always check before leaving to ensure there are no smoldering ashes that could re-ignite.
  • Use flameless candles
  • Do not allow pets around kitchen stoves when cooking. A hot pan of grease can cause serious harm to you and your pet and be the source of a grease fire.
  • Keep leashes and collars, even pet carriers, near exits in case pets need to be evacuated
  • Keep flashlights handy in case of a power outage