Guidelines for Requesting Help on Student Projects
Ottawa Humane Society communications staff are pleased to assist students who require information or interviews from the OHS as time and resources permit. Please note that due to high volume and demand, all students are asked to check the OHS website when inquiring about data already available online.
The following information is available on the OHS website:
- Mission and history of the Ottawa Humane Society
- Annual statistics and financial statements
- News releases
- Newsletters and e-bulletins
- Animal welfare position statements
- Companion animal tips
- Inside the OHS blog
- Frequently asked questions
Please note the following conditions prior to requesting information or interviews:
- Last minute requests cannot be accommodated. The earlier you put in your request, the more likely you will be to get the information you need and/or the opportunity to speak with an OHS staff member or subject matter expert. So plan ahead.
- Expect from 24 to 72 hours as the turnaround time by OHS with your media request.
- Students who show up at the Ottawa Humane Society building without an appointment cannot be accommodated.
- The OHS can only speak to issues that fall under the mandate and jurisdiction of the Ottawa Humane Society.
- We invite students to consider other sources of information such as community groups, relevant government bodies (city, provincial and federal) and subject experts.
- Be prepared to identify what information you are looking for and have a list of key questions ready. You should note that local reporters typically have about 10 minutes to interview an OHS spokesperson. You will have the same time restrictions as local reporters do. We strongly urge you to make good use of your scheduled interview time and to have a focused request.
- If you are using equipment to conduct your interview (e.g. recorders, cameras etc.) please ensure you are familiar with the use of such tools, and that they are functioning prior to your interview. Any time spent setting up equipment will be deducted from the allotted 10 minutes.
- Please utilize the OHS communications staff to arrange interviews on your behalf rather than contacting individual staff members directly.
Please contact the OHS communications department at 613-725-3166, ext. 261 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information or an interview request.