Youth Apprenticeship Program
Calling all young leaders! The Youth Apprenticeship Program (YAP) provides youth in Grades 7-10 with a unique opportunity to further explore their love for animals with specialized programming over the course of four consecutive weeks. Each week, participants learn about a specialized topic related to animal care and welfare.
All YAP participation hours can contribute to High School Community Service Hours (approximately six hours per program).
Youth enrolled in this program can look forward to:
- A behind-the-scenes tour of the OHS
- Learning about animal-related careers
- Animal interaction
- Understanding canine and feline body language
- Exploring the topic of responsible pet ownership
- Hands-on practical training (animal enrichment, grooming, walking, training, etc.)
- Viewing a spay/neuter surgery video
- Volunteering (making cat toys, e-collars and/or stuffing adoption packages)
- A deep dive discussion about trending humane education topics:
- Cosmetic testing on animals
- Food animal welfare
- The use of animals in entertainment
Age Requirement: Grade 7-10 students
Cost: $150 (for four 1.5-hour sessions)
Program Hours: 6:30 to 8 p.m. every Thursday
- May 19 to June 9, 2022 (four weeks) SOLD OUT
To be placed on an interest list for OHS Youth Programs that are not currently open for registration, select the “Interest List” button below. Select the calendar date (December 31, 2022) and time (11:59 pm) and select “Continue”.
COVID-19 Safety Protocols: To ensure the safety of OHS staff, volunteers, participants and animals, we ask that participants stay home if they are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or live with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 in the last five days. At this time, masking is not required for OHS programs, although participants who feel more comfortable wearing masks are encouraged to do so. We are regularly monitoring public health regulations and will update our COVID-19 safety protocols if anything changes.
OHS Youth Apprenticeship Program – Cancellation and Refund Policy: Refund requests received 48 hours in advance of the scheduled program are eligible for a refund of $125 (a $25 non-refundable administration fee applies). Refund requests received within 48 hours of the scheduled program are not eligible for a refund.
Note: Full refunds will be issued in the event the OHS has to cancel a scheduled program.
For more information, email email@example.com or call 613-725-3166, ext. 298.