Youth Apprenticeship Program
Calling all young leaders!
The Youth Apprenticeship Program (YAP) is back for the 2023 new year with a bigger, more activity-packed program.
This 6-week program provides youth in Grades 7-11 with a unique opportunity to further explore their love for animals with specialized programming over the course of four consecutive weeks. Each week, participants learn about a specialized topic related to animal care and welfare.
Youth enrolled in this program can look forward to:
- A behind-the-scenes tour of the OHS
- Learning about animal welfare and animal-related careers
- Opportunity to visit shelter animals
- Animal enrichment activities
- Understanding canine, feline, and rabbit body language
- Exploring the topic of responsible pet ownership
- A deep dive discussion about trending humane education topics:
- Puppies for profit
- Animals in the food industry
- The use of animals in entertainment
Age Requirement: Grade 7-11 students
Cost: $175 (for six 1.5-hour sessions)
- 4:30 to 6 p.m. every Thursday or;
- 6:30 to 8 p.m. every Thursday
- 4:30 to 6 p.m. on Thursdays from February 23, 2023 to April 6, 2023*
- 6:30 to 8 p.m. on Thursdays from February 23, 2023 to April 6, 2023*
* There will be no sessions on Thursday, March 16, 2023 during March Break.
To be placed on an interest list for OHS Youth Programs that are not currently open for registration, select the “Interest List” button below. Select the calendar date (December 31, 2022) and time (11:59 pm) and select “Book Now”.
COVID-19 Safety Protocols: To ensure the safety of OHS staff, volunteers, participants and animals, we ask that participants stay home if they are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or live with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 in the last five days. At this time, masking is not required for OHS programs, although participants who feel more comfortable wearing masks are encouraged to do so.
OHS Youth Apprenticeship Program – Cancellation and Refund Policy: Refund requests received 48 hours in advance of the scheduled program are eligible for a refund of $150 (a $25 non-refundable administration fee applies). Refund requests received within 48 hours of the scheduled program are not eligible for a refund.
Note: Full refunds will be issued in the event the OHS has to cancel a scheduled program.
For more information, email email@example.com or call 613-725-3166, ext. 298.