Humane Education School Program
Humane Education Program Volunteering
*We are looking for presenters and handlers.*
We need your help!
The school program has been visiting schools in the Ottawa area since 1990. This program teaches children about responsible pet ownership, dog-bite prevention and the role of the Ottawa Humane Society in the community. Animal welfare topics are presented Monday to Friday from October to June. A two-member team of humane education volunteers delivers a one-hour, scripted presentation that includes a short video. In addition, a behaviourally assessed dog is introduced in a supervised session with the children. Volunteers are responsible for either facilitating the presentation (presenter) or facilitating a visit with a behaviourally assessed companion animal (handler). Presentations are delivered in French and English.
May I use my pet in this program?
- For the handler role, we are ONLY looking for handlers with their own canine companions. Dogs must be friendly towards all people and children, be a minimum of 2 years of age and successfully pass a behaviour assessment here at the OHS.
Humane Education School Program volunteer requirements:
- Comfortable handling companion animals (dogs and cats)
- Experience working with children and/or youth
- Able to speak in front of child and/or youth audiences
- Knowledgeable and comfortable discussing issues related to animal care and welfare
- Access to a vehicle
- Able to make a commitment for at least one school year, to one, three-hour biweekly shift
Steps to Becoming a Humane Education School Program Volunteer
- Complete the volunteer application
- Ensure you specify on your application the program and position (presenter or handler) for which you are interested in volunteering.
- Volunteers whose skills and availability match the humane education school program volunteer requirements will be contacted for an interview.
- Following a successful interview, volunteers will be asked to submit a criminal record check and attend a scheduled orientation.
For more information contact our manager: volunteers via email at email@example.com or by telephone at 613-725-3166 ext. 231.
We encourage you to browse our site for other volunteer opportunities at the OHS. For any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your interest in our Humane Education School Program!